Sunday, July 26, 2015

What I want you to know about me (Dear ELA 9 Students)

Dear ELA 9 Students,

Today is July 26, 2015.  You start the 2015-2016 school year on September 8.  That's not for another 43 days.  But today, I looked at your class roster.  Today, I looked at your names and your pictures.  Today, I wondered about who you might be and what unique gifts you will bring to our class this year.  Today, I also thought about what I want you to know about me, your ELA 9 teacher.

In Room 202, you will probably call me Mrs. Howe.  You might call me Frau Howe, if you or your friends know me from German class.  Either one is fine with me.  They're both names I go by around here at Lake Orion High School, because I have the opportunity every day to teach students English, German, and Reading here at LOHS.  I graduated a little south of here as a Highlander.  Four years later, I graduated a couple hours west of here as a Briton.  During my time as a Briton, I lost my heart in Heidelberg.  Then I graduated just a bit farther south of here as a Warrior. After a couple years as a Thunderbird, I've now been a Dragon for thirteen years, and I couldn't be more excited to start this school year with you as your teacher.

When I'm not in Room 202 or hanging around LOHS, I probably answer most often to Mom, Chelsea's mom, or Katie's mom.  My husband and I have two daughters.  Chelsea is turning eight and starting the third grade (in 43 days!) at Auburn Elementary school.  Katie turned five this summer and is starting kindergarten (also in 43 days at Auburn Elementary School).  We've had a busy and fun summer playing baseball, doing Hip Hop, and being Explorers in Downtown Rochester.  During the school year, we also work in Girl Scouts and swimming!  I love taking adventures with my girls.

I am a reader, a writer, a thinker, and a traveler.  I'm always looking for book suggestions, so if you've recently read something great, please share it with me.  Check out the back bulletin board to see what I've read this summer.  I don't write as often as I'd like, but I excited to write with you every day.  I love reading and writing in two languages--English and German!  I enjoy thinking and often have many more questions than answers.  I'm looking forward to what you have to teach me this year.  I also enjoy traveling.  These days, I stay closer to home.  We visit family in Ohio, head to Chicago every now and again, and go to Y Camp and Petosky in the summer, but I've been to several states including Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Virgina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and California.   I've also traveled through Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and Canada.

While the paragraphs above tell you a bit about who I am, what I really want you to know is that I am excited to teach you.  I'm looking forward to learning about you.  I'm looking forward to reading, writing, and learning with you each day.  I believe in you, and I'm glad you're here (or will be here in 43 days)!

Mrs. Howe




No comments:

Post a Comment