Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Teacher's Write Day 3: The Beginning

I'm thirty-eight years old, but my story began almost seventy-one years ago.  It began with a conversation, a missing letter, and a response to that letter.  Today, I begin reading my story.  As my six-year-old quickly picked up, the letters begin with "Dear Verna" and for now, they end with "Yours truly, Carl."  The fact that I am here and a telegram indicate that it took less than two years for the closing to change. 

Sitting at my dining room table, I feel that I am beginning the biggest adventure I've ever been on.  It's late, and everyone else in my house is sleeping, but I'm excited and conflicted.  Should I reread or pull out just one more?  How long will it take for me to read all 103?  Will I slow down or wish I had slowed down at the end?

The story begins with, "I am very glad you wrote to me under the circumstances.  Hope you aren't sorry now and never will be."  Seventy-one years later, she never was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment